Parents get quite upset when the school informs them that their child “does not obey the teacher” or “causes problems in class”. One possible cause of this behaviour is ADHD – Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.
Attention deficit in children
Although often children with this disorder want to do well at school, their impulsive behaviour and difficulty in maintaining their attention focused in the classroom impedes this desire and causes problems. Teachers, parents and friends may observe that the child behaves “badly” or “differently”, but often do not know how to explain what exactly is to blame.
All children can sometimes be careless, reckless, impulsive or hyperactive, but in children with ADHD these symptoms and behaviours are more frequent and more pronounced as compared to other children of the same age or the same developmental level. ADHD occurs in 3-5% of school-age children. It begins before the age of 7, and can extend to early adulthood. It is hereditary, i.e. 25% of the biological parents of children with ADHD also suffered from the same disorder.
How does a child with attention deficit disorder behave? A child with ADHD often exhibits some of the following behaviour aspects:
- Difficulty in focusing and maintaining focus
- Easily distracted
- Failure to pay attention to details and making careless mistakes
- Losing things necessary for school, forgetting to deliver homework
- Difficulty in completing school and home work
- Difficulty in responding when spoken to
- Difficulty in meeting the multiple requirements of adults
- Answering questions thoughtlessly
- Failure to sit still in one’s seat
- Getting up from one’s seat and running up and down or climbing where not supposed to
- Looking always ready for action, looking “furious”
- Talking too much and difficulty in playing quietly
- Getting involved in anything and interrupting others when talking or working
Homeopathic medicines that are properly selected and correctly administered can be a “Gift from God” for hyperactive children. These can help them to “slow down”, relax and feel greater internal security. Homeopathy can also improve the overall condition of the body, and therefore hyperactive children feel stronger, which leads to an overall sense of wellbeing.